Lyons Public Library is proud to participate in the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program, an early literacy program for children birth – 6 (and not yet enrolled in Kindergarten). Reading to your child is one of the most important ways to prepare them for school. Even 20 minutes a day can aid in language development and early literacy skills, not to mention the bond you will create with your child!
This program is sponsored by the South Central Kansas Library System.
Signing up is as easy as filling out a form at the link below or coming to the library to register at the circulation desk.
How do we start?
Who can participate?
How long will it take?
How can we possibly read 1,000 books before Kindergarten?
Easy! Perseverance is the key. If just one book a night is read, 365 books will be read in a year. In two years, the number will grow to 730. In the third year, the goal will be surpassed at 1,095 books. If three books are read every night, 1000 books will be read in less than a year! Since most children start kindergarten at age 5 or 6, there is more time than one thinks and it’s never too late to start!
Why should I participate?
Tips for completing the program:
- Start reading to your child as soon as they are born! Black and white contrast books are perfect for newborns.
- Touch and Feel books are perfect for toddlers who are learning through exploration with their senses.
- Find books with rich vocabulary and bright pictures for preschool age children to help them identify things more easily and learn the words to describe what they are seeing.
- Pick 2 or 3 books to read to your child every night before bed. This is a great way to cuddle up and spend meaningful time together before they go down for the night.
- Come to our weekly story times! We have a storytime specifically for children age 1 and up who have not entered Kindergarten. Storytime meets each Tuesday from 5:30 to 6:15 pm.
Progress and incentives!
Turn in your reading log at each 100 book level to receive rewards and encouragement! Keep reading and you’ll be well on your way to meeting the 1000 book challenge!